Sunday, February 1, 2009

"We're Going on An Adventure"

"We're Going on An Adventure - we're going exploring!"

I was reminded of this "saying" yesterday. It was a phrase that my husband and I came up with when the kids were younger. (I'm sure it's not really a new saying and it's is definitely not unique but it really helped our kids.)

We would be taking the kids somewhere new and/or doing some new activity with them and they would start asking a ton of questions....where? why? what are we doing? what if....? How?, etc. They have always been very inquisitive kids and want to learn and know about everything they do. So to embark on something unknown with no information was always a little daunting to them; making them feel a little nervous and unsure. And, since we hadn't done or seen most of these activities or places either, we didn't have much information for them. So, we made it into a big game, a "We're going on an Adventure; we're going exploring or we'll be exploring..."! (Sometimes even packing a lunch and taking along notebook(s) for notes, camera for pics, binoculars, etc.) And, since they could relate this to the TV show Dora the Explorer as well as our other activities/travels, they felt better about it and, most importantly (to us), weren't as concerned about getting all the answers to their questions right away.

So, yesterday when I said we were going to try a new place for brunch, the kids started to ask a few questions and I found myself saying "we're going exploring", "we're going on an Adventure, a Saturday Adventure" (and was reminded of saying the phrase when they were younger). Now, though, they don't really get nervous or unsure of new activities or places as they are excited for the new adventures.

No comments: