Thursday, January 8, 2009

Career Fair Essay By Our Daughter

Note before essay: Our daughter won a contest she didn't even realize she was entered into. It was sponsored by Character Under Construction - a non-for-profit organization sponsored by the Williamson County-Franklin Chamber of Commerce. Her essay is one of 10 winning essays, selected from schools within the county and she will be reading it on WAKM 950 AM radio during the 8-9AM segment on Friday, January 9, 2009. This is a some information from the letter on how the winning essays were chosen -> "The winning essays were selected because they responded directly to the writing prompt which asked 8th grade writers to discuss a future career and how character is important in that career choice. Essays were also judged on writing style, language mechanics, and organization."

Here is Miss K's essay:

Mapping your future can be really tough, but sometimes you get a little help. The career fair was interesting to learn about the classes, skills, and things necessary for your job. When I went to the career fair I interviewed professionals, learned about their careers, and how character is used every day for them. I thought that even though I had a good understanding of certain things, it helped expand my knowledge, and the people and exhibitions were especially helpful.

I met a lot of really interesting people and their companies and exhibits. I'm really fascinated by art, so I went to talk to the Nashville Artist's Guild, Frist Center, and WCS Visual Communications. I learned a lot about what they do and what I need to do to be successful in those careers. For example, the man at the NAG said that as well as art and media classes, taking business classes and communication classes will help a lot since as an artist you are your own salesman. Along with that they talked about what they did and how much they enjoyed doing it.

As an artist a lot of their careers require you to be kinda an independent creative businessman. It gives you a lot of freedom to be yourself and you need to explore, learn, and know about all types of art. They use all sorts of different mediums and tools, as technology is constantly changing. Their pay might not always be great, but it's worth the freedom and creativity, along with other great characteristics.

The exhibitors in their fields use a lot of charater. You obviously use respect whenever you're working as a group or team. You have the responsibility to get your part done and cooperation with one another when bouncing ideas back and forth. A team of animators would also need trustworthiness that you get your task completed well and efficiently to make the final product.

The career fair gave me a better idea of the classes I need to take and where to go. The career that interests me remains the same as it did before; the fair only strengthened my determination to make it as an animator or artist. I believe you should be exerting character in whatever you do and your job especially since it is a big part of how you live your life. Overall the career fair was fun, helpful, and very interesting.

No comments: